Navigation Menu

Saturday, May 7, 2011

God's Blessings

This past week has been full of God's blessings. I am never amazed at what God can do, but sometimes it amazes me what God chooses to do for me and my family. It seems to me that God has blessed us so greatly that we've had our fill, and my cup is so overflowing that he would stop pouring. But that is not God. While I set out this little cup asking for God to fill it up; God sets this huge pitcher in front of me. My cup cannot even begin to hold what he has chosen to lavish on me.

As the spring has come, and warm weather is upon us that means cleaning up the backyard, and getting it ready for family BBQ's and hours of summer playtime. Several years ago for Ariel's 4th birthday we purchased her a swing set. The kids have loved playing on it like a jungle gym, and swinging for hours on the swings. They have outgrown the set, and it was literally breaking apart. I knew we were going to need to throw it out.

Ariel has grown up enough that this was an easy thought for her. Gabriel and Zech on the other hand still have a few years before they get to that mindset. Gabe was taking it the hardest, and couldn't bear the thought that we would soon be throwing out his beloved swing set.

We've recently spent some time visiting a psychologist with Gabriel, and it was suggested for him to be involved in as many extracurricular activities as possible. When I asked Gabe what sport he would like to join, his response was, "swinging."

You must understand that the idea of throwing out the swing set to Gabe was absolutely horrible, the end of the world.

Here's where God's blessings comes in. As we were mentally preparing to take the swing set apart, and talking about it, my father has a rental property that is sitting vacant. One of the former tenants put in a very nice swing set. Since the house is empty right now, my dad very graciously gave us the swing set. It's huge compared to what the kids were used to playing on.


All we had to do was take it apart and then put it back together in our backyard. You would have thought it was Christmas morning the kids were so excited. It was a dream comes true for Gabriel. He's always wanted a glider swing. Because our swing set was so small, that was an impossible addition to our set. Now he has his glider and even more! The set is very sturdy and should last us for many more years to come.


Thank you, God, for providing us the means to fulfill Gabriel's dream!

Our next blessing this week came for Ariel. She has long been interested in the American girl dolls and books. You may think this a bit premature, but it's already been decided that her birthday party in August will be an American girl party. (When you do very detailed parties, you have to plan ahead!) Ariel has asked me many times to allow her to play with my Felicity doll, and I try let her on occasion.

For the past few months, she's been diligently saving most of her money to purchase her own doll. When you only make a dollar a week that can take some time to save up.

As Titus and I were shopping at the Goodwill store for some sheets to make Ariel's music program costume, we happened upon a well used American girl doll at the register. I asked the cashier if she was saving it for someone, and her answer was no. I then asked for the price and she told me, $1.99.

I grabbed that doll and bought it!


If it had been a month ago, I might have let it go. The doll's hair was in pretty bad condition. But if you remember I recently did a post about fixing up my Felicity doll. I knew I could fix this one. The dolls limbs were really loose too; so I watched some YouTube videos and Titus and I fixed that doll.


fix broken american girl doll
Just like this doll, no person is too far gone that God can't fix them; or help them realize their potential. Titus and I worked together, and made this doll beautiful again. You never would have known how she looked before. And the pictures I have just don't do justice to the hair transformation she went through.

American girl doll
The really awesome part about it all, the cost of fixing the doll came to the exact same amount that Ariel had saved so far. She was thrilled when I gave her the option of buying it from me. She may not have had to save $100 for the doll, but she still learned the value of good work and patience.

God is so WOW!

Both of these things are probably items that Titus and I could have purchased for our children. However we didn't. God did. He knew the desires of each of their hearts and said, "Yes! I would love to bless you with that!" Can you imagine how much more these items mean to my kids knowing they were a gift from God?

"Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this"
Psalm 37:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...